Nothing says ‘winter warmer’ more than tomato soup, and you really need to give our roasted tomato soup with whole meal croutons and flax seed oil recipe a try.
Made from scratch, this homemade tomato soup is a source of Vitamins E, B6, A, C and K, Thiamine, Niacin, Magnesium, Phosphorus and Copper.
- 1 kilogram tomatoes vine-ripened
- ½ head Garlic
- Wholemeal bread
- Olive oil
- 2 cups chicken stock (low salt)
- 1 bunch thyme
- 4 tablespoons flax seed oil
- Preheat oven to 120 degrees
- Wash and halve the tomatoes and place on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Add the crushed and peeled garlic and half the thyme, season with salt and pepper and place in the oven.
- Check every 20 minutes. They should be drying and contracting – not burning. When reduced in size by about a half remove from oven.
- While the tomatoes are cooking, make the croutons by removing the crust from the bread and cutting the slices into 1 cm cubes.
- Heat 1 cm of olive oil in a smallish pan until a test piece of crust starts to bubble, when dropped in. Remove the test piece and add the croutons ¼ at a time. Keep them moving with a slotted spoon and when light brown and crisp remove to a paper towel lined bowl. Repeat until finished and set aside.
- When the tomatoes have slightly cooled, add all of the contents of the tray to the bowl of a food processor and blitz lightly. You want to keep quite a lot of texture. Taste and adjust seasoning. Add the tomatoes to a heavy pot and heat. Add enough stock to achieve a lighter consistency, and cook for ten minutes on a very light simmer.
- Serve soup topped with croutons then drizzle generously with flax seed oil and garnish with fresh thyme.
Note: this soup can be served hot or cold, and is even better next day from the fridge.