Healthy skin is made from the inside out: it’s a mix of sound science, healthy habits and a good skincare routine. When you combine all three, your skin will be radiant – and you’ll have greater overall health to show for it.
Three steps to more healthy skin
Step one: Be sun safe
While Australia is considered the “lucky” country, our climate is not very kind to skin, with dry, hot conditions that contribute to premature ageing – not to mention some of the highest skin cancer rates in the world. Most changes to the skin are caused by a lifetime of sun exposure. The importance of basic sun protection cannot be underestimated when it comes to healthy skin:
- Use sunscreen regularly
- Wear sun-protective clothing (including hats and sunglasses)
- Seek out shade wherever possible
Step two: Follow a healthy day-to-day lifestyle
Smoking, sleep, exercise, diet and hydration can all have a major impact on skin. Some small adjustments in these vital areas could likely leave you looking – and feeling – both younger and healthier.
- Research shows smoking ages the skin by causing collagen to degrade, blood vessels to tighten and reducing the amount of oxygen and nutrients the skin cells receive. This in turn reduces elasticity and accelerates aging. Facial expressions that smokers make also promote wrinkles.
- Sleep is essential for the body to rest and rejuvenate; that includes skin. Sleep optimises the release of human growth hormone, which promotes cell turnover and collagen production. Skimping on sleep leaves your skin looking tired and older.
- Regular exercise increases blood flow and the circulation of nutrients to skin cells. Exercise also helps reduce stress, and promotes better sleep quality.
- And don’t forget to drink plenty of water. Dehydrated skin looks tired, old and dull.
Step three: Choose your products and supplements wisely
Skin requires nutrients to flourish. A healthy diet can go a long way, but the right supplementation can help take your skin health to the next level. Take anti-oxidant rich multivitamins like Hivita Women’s or Hivita Men’s Multi, plus a collagen-promoting, high potency vitamin C supplement with antioxidant support like Hivita Daily C + Zinc.
Multiple studies have also singled out a unique and natural breed of white tomato – Solanum Lycopersicum – as one of the most powerful ingredients for skin rejuvenation. The rare white tomato is rich in Phytoene and Phytofluene: Natural colourless carotenoids known to lighten and even skin tone by reducing melanin content in skin cells. It also helps prevent oxidative skin damage and delay premature ageing.
The Hivita Luminous White Skin Lightening Collection is the first skin care range in Australia to be formulated with the rare white tomato. The two-part system includes a once-a-day supplement and a day and night age-defying cream. The two products work in harmony above and below the skin to deliver more beautiful and visually healthier skin, with users seeing significant reductions in hyperpigmentation, age spots, blemishes, fine lines and wrinkles, as well as improvements in skin evenness, elasticity and firmness.